Reflections of a Lonely Heron

Alone I be,  Alone I stand
watching over this watery land.
Like a statue standing tall
I blend with nature body and all.
Patience is a virtue of mine
I often wait for hours at a time.
In the cold of the morning the sun I seek
warming my body, but mostly my feet.
In all that I do, in all that I am
my life depends on the changes in man.
For he alone holds the key for nature to survive
in this world for us all to stay alive.
-Here I Am/Carrie

Photo by Here I Am/Carrie 

 

Nature is man’s teacher.  She unfolds her treasures to his search, unseals his eye, illumes his mind, and purifies his heart; an influence breathes from all the sights and sounds of her existence.
-Alfred Billings Street
Photo by Here I Am/Carrie

 

 

Nature Thrives on patience; man on impatience.
-Paul Boese

Photo by Here I Am/Carrie

 

Look deep into nature, and then you understand everything better.
-Albert Einstein

Photo by Here I Am/Carrie

 

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
-Lao Tzu
 

Photo by Here I Am/Carrie

 

In solitude, when we are least alone.
-Lord Byron
 

Photo by Here I Am/Carrie

 

 

I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.
-Henry David Thoreau

Photo by Here I Am/Carrie

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Photo by Here I Am/Carrie

Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.  ~Rachel Carson

Photo by Here I Am/Carrie

My heron is not so lonely any more as he has found a mate.
You will notice both male and females in the photos.
It has taken years for the heron to allow me close
enough to take photos with my little camera.
The last photo, he is sunning himself in a tree just off our deck.
He comes every morning now.

 

So be patient with nature and she will be patient with you.
Have a blessed
Good Morning… Good Afternoon…  Good Night…
What ever it is to you.

Photos by

Here I Am/Carrie

16 comments:

Joe said...

What a delightful bird! I see them on occasion in our ponded area behind our house or in the farmer's ditch. The fall colors in your pictures are evidence of seasons change that I can't see at all here in Africa. I have already almost forgotten the feeling of cold here where it's ever hot...this is a different world to be sure but I appreciate the connection to things there so much!

Rick said...

Beautiful Carrie - lovely captures of your friend, and his mate ! And so many great quotes - and what makes them great is the realization of the truth they contain.

Beth said...

Carrie, those photos and verse are delightful.
"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude."
-Henry David Thoreau
I have been alone so much in the last few years that I totally relate to that quote.

penelopephoebe said...

Beautiful poem, photos and quotes, Carrie. You are just so versatile and talented.

Ramblingon said...

Oh I love herons and your captures are stunning!!! Love the shadow drop. You must have composed your blog and photos on MSN's Live Writer. Great job. ☼

Kerrie said...

Carrie, Oh My Gosh!!! This is right up there with my all time favourite blogs you written and so beautifully illustrated. I can not help but think of Psalm 23 V2, "... He leads me to calm water." NCV The glassy still waters and the heron are stunning. What a caputure!!! I've sat here for so long, all in a world of my own, day-dreaming; while starring at your images. Take care. God bless you and me. With love and care, Kerrie. xOx

Lisa said...

You had me on evey photo here Carrie . How beautiful and full of peace. So much peace. It just comes right from your words into the quote with each photos.
You have a few of my fav quotes here that really hold a place in my heart . I wont forget this blog for along time. Patience is somthing I have grown into or has grown into me , a gift I have to say .
Breathtaking.

Its Indian Summer here by the way where everything seems to be so peaceful and calm with the Havest moving along late at night for every farmer in the country not only us. At 8 this morning there wasnt any dew so out came the new baby.. A Combine. Huge . Some go all night.
Hugs from over the Mountains and have a great night.

john bord said...

Herons a so much fun to watch And to have one nearby is even better.
nice sequence

j said...

Great work Carrie! The nature sounds on your space are so perfect for your posts. I was almost with you taking these shots but alas, the heron flew away as I flipped the pages of my Webster looking for the definition of patience. Hummmmm, I need to work on that one. Must turn pages quieter.

Dianne ... Walking In His Grace said...

Love your poem, Carrie. You have a way with words. :) The photos are beautiful, and the top 2 would make nice greeting cards. Nice choice of quotes also.
I have never seen a Heron sitting in a tree , and hope to one of these days.
Lovely presentation and I enjoyed it very much. Made me wish I were there.
Take care Carrie and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Hugs, Dianne :)

Rocket Man said...

This is a beautiful series, Carrie. The heron is so majestic and the reflections....have a great week my friend!

nita said...

Hi Carrie, very interesting post, great pics and words. thank you for visiting me, have a great weekend, hugs Nita

Gerry said...

Hi Carrie, Thanks for sharing more beautiful pics, and for visiting my blog. I can totally relate to what you said about floaters with tails, because I have that in my left eye. Sorry to hear that anyone else would have to experience it. Hope you have a nice day tomorrow.
Gerry :)

Toyin O. said...

nice pictures and thought provoking words.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

© Liz said...

Wonderful serie Carrie...

Thanks for your visit and comment.

Big hug!

Eddie Two Hawks said...

Ah nature...the gentilest teacher. Calm, patient, optimistic... presenting beauty, grace and ideal form...
Hear the flowing water, smell the flowers and fresh air and herons call in the clouds?

These photos and passages are undeniably moving!